SFFS

It was a typical day in the secluded La Fortunata area in Eureka, California—the sun beating down as if to smite all the evil that permeates every corner of the land,  sirens constantly wailing in their pursuit of an endless supply of criminals, and the usual plateau of sounds as everyday civilians carried on with their daily routines.

I fall under the latter category.
My name is Erik Ashendale and people stared at me as I strode toward the elementary school some twenty blocks from my office.
Maybe it was the black trench coat. Maybe it was the sword handle that poked out now and then from under the side of the coat, placed horizontally across my lower back after all, for quick reach. Maybe it was the clank of metal as people noticed my twin pistols with the fear usually reserved for notorious gang members.
But mostly it was my reputation: Erik the Wizard, Erik the Creep, Erik who gets rid of supernatural nasties while everybody else prays to whatever deity they believe in. They all knew what I did for a living. They all poked their heads into my office window, hoping to catch a glimpse of me performing some ritual which summoned forth some ancient demonic entity. All they saw was my extensive collection of trinkets and, occasionally, my cat licking itself.
11 comments on “SFFS
  1. Gayle says:

Lol at that last line!Wow, this sounds like a superb story. I like that the main character is male, too. 😀

2. TKToppin says:

Haha! Good stuff, love the last line too! Welcome to SFFSat, and I'm loving this story immediately!! Got me hooked.

3. JC Cassels says:

I love the last line, too! Very nice set up.

4. Mad Writer says:

Check out Firstborn, my novel, from amazon. These are the first 10 lines. I'm glad you liked it. 🙂

5. Great setup! I am intrigued as well, wondering where this is going.

6. Mad Writer says:

There should be the first 3 chapters somewhere in this same blog. And Firstborn, my novel and of which these lines are taken from, can be found on Amazon.Glad you liked it. 🙂

7. Loved the cat. But wouldn't that black trench coat interfere with a quick sword-draw? And I wouldn't even try that first captcha–totally illegible photo.

8. T. M. Hunter says:

Good stuff…enjoyed the setup for whatever comes next.

9. Pippa Jay says:

So he has a feline familiar to help him out? Certainly sounds like his profession doesn't earn him any friends despite being important.

10. Love the line about the cat. Good snippet, and welcome to SFFSat!

11. Misa says:

Welcome (if a little late) to SFFSat! This sounds like fun and I too love the comment about the cat.