SFFS

Last week we introduced Mephisto and it was creepy as heck. Today we go in a different direction – Erik, in the shower, thinking and reminiscing. I.e. having a mental breakdown and trying to piece himself back together. Here’s the conclusion to his stream of consciousness.
Enjoy.

Because all signs read one message: the balance between good and evil, order and chaos in this universe and possibly in all our neighboring planes of existence, rested on my shoulders. I was that only one that could save it. Apparently, some deity or universal force chose me out of all suckers, to be the fulcrum of its fabric. The universe is an idiot.

But that didn’t change the fact that some part of me already knew about this. That all my training, all my choices and conflicts led up to that moment – when I encountered a being far greater than anything I had faced, would die under it and come back supercharged. The moment when I would destroy an Alpha, a progenitor of today’s demonic population.

And I needed to be at my best. I had friends and a family to defend and a universe to preserve.

The universe is so screwed.

( PS: I’m thinking of sharing a new WIP with you guys next week. What do you think? More Erik/Legacy/Book 2 or something Sci-fi and completely new for me?)

(PSS: I’m still debating titles for this project. The tentative title is Mind Walk. Any advice or suggestions are welcome.)

(OK, seriously Ryanenough with the brackets. Stop breaking the fourth wall and let the poor readers go. They’ve had enough of you.)
15 comments on “SFFS
  1. JC Cassels says:

I like this character's voice. Nice set up.

2. TKToppin says:

Yep, gotta agree with Erik, the universe is an idiot, and it's screwed. I like MInd Walk. And yeh, go on, share some from the new WIP. Go on, do it.

3. S A Check says:

I'm always a sucker for the imperfect hero – the everyman forced into dynamic situations who has to figure things out as the story unfolds. I'd definitely like to see this one progress.(Mind Walk – I guess I don't know how it fits the story yet)(Brackets are fun for the whole family)(They're like bubble wrap – you can't stop at just one)

4. No pressure, Erik! heheEven though the snippets from this piece are good, I wouldn't mind seeing some from the other work-in-progress.

5. Nothing like having a screwed-up universe on your back.

6. Starr O'Hara says:

Yep, the universe has no freaking idea what it's doing. At least in real life. But in fantasy, well… maybe it does! I really dig this inner dialogue. Very revealing and helps the reader to connect with the character. Let's see a snippet from your WIP! (I have no opinion about the title. I guess "Mind Walk" doesn't really resonate with me or peak my interest.)

7. I'm quite enjoying listening to this inner monologue, but I'm always excited about the prospect of something new and shiny. 🙂 As far as this snippet, I really love his tone. You've got great tension building.

8. Mad Writer says:

Something about the title isn't resonating. I guess it's a publicity thing. Sure I'll share some of the WIP

9. Mad Writer says:

Thank you. (Yes these are a lot of fun)

10. Mad Writer says:

That's all he has

11. Mad Writer says:

Thank you. Yeah I thought so too about the title. I really hate those. I will share some of the WIP then

12. taraquan.com says:

That would really stress me out too–the balance of good and evil resting on his shoulders and all that. I think my meltdown would be a bit more dramatic (with lots of crying and sniveling), but then again, I'm not a super-powerful hero. This guy seems like he's got a handle on things, and I look forward to learning more.New and shiny is always an interesting prospect though–definitely give it a whirl! I have to agree with Leslie: Mind Walk isn't making me respond either way.